Monday, January 28, 2008

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

First of all thank you all very much for your good wishes for my visit to mum. I found her well, if a little muddled, but quite alright in her own home where she knows where everything is and what does what. As long as she can watch golf or tennis and her soaps she's quite happy. She may not know what day it is or who Gordon Brown is but she can identify the entire cast of Neighbours, Home and Away, Emmerdale, Eastenders, Corrie........... an if I'm still living on my own at 89, albeit with some support, I'll be quite happy. And thank you linz, there is no hurry, but I do know she will be thrilled, I nearly lost the monkey off my Kipling bag on Friday!

Now then, how was Joseph? Joseph was wonderful, thank you. I don't know what it is about Joseph, I always feel as if I'm at the best party ever when I go to watch it. This time was no exception, the cast was energetic and obviously having a whale of a time. Not quite as glossy as the West End production I saw recently, but no worse for that. Craig sent shivers down my spine when he sang "Close Every Door" and that will do for me!

Now as you can see, the Aknita family has been out and about again! January 23rd saw DS's 16th birthday. he didn't want a party, he wanted to go to London to see Spamalot, so that's where we went on Saturday. Setting musical theatre back 1,000 years and full of politically incorrect references to the French it was hilarious. Who knew, for example, that Sir Galahad was called Dennis, or that Lancelot married a young man by the name of Herbert!!!!!!!!! We even had Knights that went Ni and a killer rabbit! I haven't laughed so much for yonks. And of course we all sang "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"

It was a lovely day so we went for pre-lunch wonder round Trafalgar Square being all touristy. Lunch was a two hour long affair at an Italian restaurant. And yes, I did fall asleep on the train home! Here are a few photos of DS, Mr A and me. I have my new coat and my Kipling bag on show - and very pleased I am with them too.











I do knit sometimes though! Over on Crafty Treads 'n' Yarns we are having a Round Robin Gift Bag Exchange and I am pleased to say that I have finished my bag. Made with oddments of Opal Elemente, it's a little longer than suggested in the pattern that I used, mostly because of what I want to fit into it! It will hold a jar of jam quite comfortably too. Now it isn't perfect by any means, dpn's are not my forte and there are ladders I know. However I appear to have successfully negotiated a picot cast on so I have learned a new trick.


Here's the reverse side of the picot edge - I was quite pleased with it though it was fiddly



And the base, blocking away over an inverted tin. I have used thin ribbon to thread through the eyelets, as I couldn't face a 2 stitch i-cord!

And finally here it is all filled and waiting to pop in the post to it's first recipient.



I though you might like to see my DAB digital radio, which was my Christmas present. I can listen to The Goon Show, Hancock's Half Hour, and loads of wonderful vintage comedy radio on BBC Radio 7 to pass the time while ironing. I love it!


And finally, I must go. Simply Knitting and Yarn Forward have just arrived in the post. I have heard good things about Yarn Forward again this month, and I'm so pleased for Kerrie that finally it seems to be working out for her.


This is my last post for January. February will see my first bloggiversary, so please tune in on Friday for news of my plans to mark this auspicious occasion!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Your kipling bag is great, the colour is nice. The knitted bag is perfect too, I like the picot edge!

Jo028 said...

Hope you had a great day out. That little bag is really good, love the picot edge. DAB radios are just the best aren't they. :)