Monday, March 3, 2008

At the Risk Of Becoming Boring.............

.............. well there's something very comforting about the familiar, isn't there? This, in my defence, is a birthday present for a dear friend, and finished in super speedy record time, cast on on Tuesday afternoon and cast off on Saturday. The lovely weekend sunshine has enhanced the blocking process, so I have this ready to take to work tonight in time for my friend's birthday.

The yarn is some of Chrissy's sock yarn, bought at last year's Woolfest, and I am very pleased with the finished result. I may be pushing it to enter it for March's Sock Yarn Challenge as it was only cast off in March rather than knitted in March - we'll see.

Forset Canopy Shoulder Shawl
Yarn: Brigh Dyes Sock Yarn
Colour: Unknown
Needles: Size 7 Aeros









I had a lovely day with mum on Saturday, but every time I visit I find myself becoming more and more - I don't know, worried isn't the word, neither is concerned really, but there are subtle little changes every time I go. I know I am immensely lucky still to have her at 89, and she does manage remarkably well in her own little world. Her carer is one of the loveliest people in the world and I am immensely grateful that she does what she does by way of shopping, cleaning, ironing etc. And I wish I had taken my camera because the garden looks a treat.


On Saturday though I regressed to around twelve years of age. My hair was too short, my top was cut too low, my skirt was too long, I was wearing too much make up ...... I didn't do a lot right tbh, we even went out on the wrong day because it wasn't Friday so she couldn't have plaice ( even though plaice was on the menu she couldn't possibly eat it on a Saturday ) And, bless her, she wondered was Mother's Day a new thing because she had never heard of it before and she didn't understand why she had had flowers and a card!

Ah well, at least she knew it was Saturday.


I hope all you mums out there had a lovely day yesterday.

8 comments:

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

lovely colour:)
Mr Mog's mum is same age as yours well in May she will be and she sounds very similar in lots of ways. Think it may be age thing also?

Linda said...

That shawl is never boring and always beautiful.

Linda said...

The shawl is lovely - you have one lucky friend. :0)

I always wonder how my mum would have been had she gotten old. Your mum sounds lovely - I always like to hear how she's getting on. She may have changed slightly from the mum she used to be when she was younger, but she sounds perfectly happy and wonderfully set in her ways. (I hope that makes sense!) And she keeps one mean garden! ;0)

Joy said...

Linda, in her own little world she is fine.

She has always been an avid gardner and it gives her a great deal of pleasure. She puts me to shame.

Linz Knits Now said...

Ah bless your mum, at least she's happy.
The shawl is yet another stunner and they never will be boring.


p.s you could always knit a frog ;)

Anonymous said...

Another beautiful one!!! I wonder how many more you will do ;-)

And mums are like that aren't they at times *rolls eyes* - but seriously, she's doing REALLY well and has a very good quality of life by the sound of it. I hope I'm still gardening at 89!!!!

Sandra said...

Another lovely shawl. I really must get round to making one of these one day!

And if does sound as if your mum is happy, although I can understand how you must feel at times. It's sometimes hard being a daughter isn't it?

dreamcatcher said...

Another beautiful FCS! I've just started my second so I've a long way to go yet ;-)

It sounds as if your mum is doing really well - she has the care and support she needs - but I understand it must be difficult seeing the changes.