Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Letter O

It seems that I will need to start every new post with a "thank-you" so I will! Thank you all very much for your kindness and generosity - I will do my very best for all of you.

I was reading Rooknits blog the other day and came across the letter game which seems to be doing the rounds. The idea is that you ask in the comments for a letter and one is sent to you at random. You then blog about ten things you love beginning with that letter.

Roo sent me the perfectly formed letter "O" Hmmm, this isn't as easy as it sounds but I will try my very best ;-)

1. Orthopaedics

When asked as a child what I wanted to do when I grew up, the answer was always, always, "I want to be a nurse" - I have never wanted to do or be anything else.

In September 1973, at the tender age of 17, I left home and went to start my training at The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital where I learned everything that is good that I know today about nursing and how it should be.

I'm the one trying to drown poor Mrs Wilson with the glass of water ;-)


2. Oswestry

Oswestry is a small market town in Shropshire a mile or so from the hospital above. I have fond memories of Folk Night in The George ( our local ) and if asked nicely after a drink or two I could probably still sing Mattey Groves for you ;-)

There were a lot of firsts in Oswestry - first boyfriend, first ride on a motorbike ( A Triumph Bonneville, wonderful machine ) first love, first broken heart ..........

3. Obsinate

Moi? Oh, you must have me muddled up with someone else ..................

4. Oranges

Love them!

5. Olives

Oh, yes please, preferably with a lime daiquiri on the bar terrace of the Sofitel Taba Heights . Can I go there now please?

6. Orlando

We have had two family holidays in Florida, in 2000 and 2002. I absolutely loved everything about it. We had a wonderful villa, our own pool, and the theme parks were the best fun ever.

7. Ocean

When I was 13, in February 1970, I went on a school cruise on the s.s. Nevassa. What a wonderful experience, never forgotten. It cost my parents £56 for three whole magical weeks. We visited Puerto de la Cruz ( this was 1970 remember, I had never seen a swimming pool irl, Playa de las Americas was still a small fishing village and a Vesta packet curry constituted exotic food ) Freetown, Dakar and Cassablanca. There were Lifeboat Races in Vigo Bay, seasickness in the Bay of Biscay and very competitively fought dormitory inspections. It seems a lifetime ago.

8. Orchestra

I once played the viola in the Welsh National Youth Orchestra and travelled to Strasburg with them to play in front of what seemed to be a huge audience.

9. Optimism

The older I get, the more I have become to realise that life is much more fulfilling when seen with an glass that is half full ;-)

10. Old Big Ears

That's how Liverpool supporters refer to the European Cup! ( yes, I know it's technically the Champions League now )

You didn't really think I'd get through this whole thing and not mention football did you ;-) Mind you, it's hard to be an optimist and be a Liverpool supporter these days!!

This has been great fun Ruth - thank you. If anyone would like a letter, just ask!

2 comments:

Alice Yu said...

I'd love a letter please! :)

RooKnits said...

Good Answers. I thought O might be a bit hard.
Good win yesterday - I cheered for you.