Saturday, April 14, 2007

Hillsborough

My lovely cyber friends know that I am an avid and passionate Liverpool supporter and have been for many years. Tomorrow marks the 18th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster.

Hillsborough for me is one of those events where you remember where you were and what you were doing with absolute clarity. It's almost incomprehensible that 96 ordinary people like myself could lose their lives attending a football match - but they did and the face of British football changed for ever.

There's a memorial at Anfield to the 96, every time I attend a match I leave flowers. It's a routine my children and I have developed, and is always a time for quiet reflection.

I'm not about to get controversial or political here - there are still very bad feelings between Liverpool supporters and certain elements of the press all these years on, but I won't dwell on that. What I would ask you to do however is to spare a thought for the 96 tomorrow and remember them in your prayers.

6 comments:

Terri said...

OMG,18 years!!!! I remember it like it was yesterday actually, and I was still a child when it happened!I'll keep those lost and their families in my thoughts tomorrow x

Piglottie said...

Like Terri, I cant believe it has been 18 years since this awful tragedy. Thanks for your post Joy - I shall remember those affected in my prayers.

gilraen said...

I remember, I was on a 13 hour shift in Westminster Children's Hospital that day. I still shudder to think of it. They are always in my prayers Joy. XO

Holly Burnham said...

Joy....I love this sweater and I think the color will flatter you.

Great job.

Holly Burnham said...

How emabarrassing........I meant to comment on your swaeter Joy, and somehow I put it here and it sounds so insensitive as you are all actually talking about this tragedy. Sorry.

Jo028 said...

I too, remember it vividly, such a waste of life, I'll also be thinking of those affected by sush a tragedy.