Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dyeing to Show You!

Last Saturday (16th) I went down to Get Knitted in Bristol. I didn't get lost either on the way there or on the way back, so an auspicious occasion it was.

I went to meet with some fellow cyber friends from CTNY, and also to attend a Dyeing Workshop run by Jeni from Fyberspates which was great fun :-)

Time goes so quickly when you are having fun! The workshop was wonderful, I have never been particularly artistic or creative and so it was really liberating to be allowed to play with colour. Not all my efforts were successful, but I loved it.

We used acid dyes btw.

First up, what Jeni referred to as cr*p alpaca, which of course is a contradition in terms ;-) but was meant for us to practice with. It was alpaca intended for machined sock knitting.


Next, an Alpaca laceweight, the colours of which I'm not so keen on, but I am sure it can be overdyed.


This splodgy one is a merino sportsweight. I am sure I can make something with it. The yarn is beautifully soft.


This is a sock yarn, and I love this.




Another sock yarn, I am really pleased with this too.





Finally, this is what I bought at GK. Interweave Knits, Knitting, two pairs of Harmony Options 2.5mm 60cm circular needles, a pair of Harmony Options 2.5mm dpns, and some split ring stitch markers.


It was wonderful to meet up with so many friends, Linda, Jacky, Kathryn, Franney, Carol, Jo, Willow ( and her gorgeous baby ) and Kelly. The day went so quickly, and I am sure I didn't say all of what I wanted to say to everyone.
Never mind, see you all at I Knit day which I am sure will be here before we know it :-)




6 comments:

LadybirdLinz (:i:) said...

absolutely lovely yarns!!! pity I kinda talked you into liking the laceweight lol.
Are you going to re-skein it, so you see how the colours work against each other? Great pics as usual. :D

Aknita said...

Linz -that would be 1200 yards to re-skein!! Perhaps one day when I have nothing to do........

But you are right, it IS the thing to do.

And thank you - I always think everyone else takes lovely photos, my whites never look white iyswim!

Lin said...

That sounds like such a great time, lovely buys too! The dyed yarns look great.

LadybirdLinz (:i:) said...

Joy do you own ball winder? It would be quicker than skeining and ready to knit lol you would be able to see the blend though.

Aknita said...

Thankfully I have a ball winder as well as a swift :-)

Thanks for all your encouragement!

Kath said...

Love the colours Joy - glad to hear you had fun dyeing! Love the colours in your latest FCS - really pretty!